Friday, October 17, 2008

Did I mention I love my studio?

Since we started out in September, we've all grown accustomed to this new skin that is the Junior Studio. Now, we're more like a family, collaborating and pushing together to get through the rather intimidating amount of work we have to accomplish.

My last project that I was working on was a series of portraits of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit detectives in the style of Matisse and Rembrandt, and now I'm moving on to a large scale painting called "The Great Gorge-River-Monster Roundup," featuring a valiant cowboy hero engaged in battle with a giant aquatic monster that looks strangely like the creature from the black lagoon. My projects are definitely unlike what most of the other 2D Juniors are working on, and I'm having a bit of a problem resolving within myself what I'd like to do, but I know that at some point, I will figure it out. Anyway, most of my problems come from overthinking - and my teachers and peers are always reminding me to take things one step at a time, just get through the painting at hand.

There's nothing like getting really stressed over a painting, then having Lisa poke her head in from the adjacent studio and make some silly crack about her ceramic bunnies that just totally dissolves all of the pressure. 

No comments: