Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Masha's becoming a star


Read Masha's interview at Art in Bars.

"Personally, after art school my soul is tortured by Arthur Danto and those daunting questions of theory and criticism. Its not a negative thing; its more about personal preference. When you are presented with all of this information and this massive timeline of ideas and images called ART you decide what you want to do with it. Some people don’t care about what their work may or not be saying when looked at in terms of everything that came before it, and that’s fine. When I make work I like to be cautious about the historical implications I may or may not be making but only because that interests me. Sometimes that can even be where the work comes from-making art about art, essentially. As for my own personal history and its place in my work; I don’t want to put very much focus on it. Its very important to me to leave it open, like a narrative that the viewers themselves can complete."

1 comment:

Eowyn said...

Here is the question that struck me:

"AiB: Is concept a valid base for powerful work or does it act as a crutch for weak art?"