Thursday, February 25, 2010

Midnight Baking


So, lately I've taken to making cookies at odd hours of the night with my roommate's dog. I started off with the standard chocolate chip, but since I ran out of chocolate chips, I was forced to get more creative with my flavors. This time, I'm making cinnamon and brown sugar cookies in honor of this winter weather.

Tonight's recipe is based on the "Smart Cookie" recipe in Cheap & Easy: A Cookbook for Girls on the Go by Sandra Bark and Alexis Kanfer (which I highly recommend!), but as usual, I've made some adjustments.

The recipe calls for:
1/2 stick of butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour <----- I pretty much always triple the amount of flour. I just add enough to make the consistency more doughey and less like batter.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

** I added 2 teaspoons of cinnamon to the dough.**

With the oven at 350, I tried desperately to reasonably portion the dough so that we won't end up with just one huge cookie on a lightly greased baking sheet. After that, I brushed some melted butter over the dough and sprinkled brown sugar on the top. You can afford to be generous with the brown sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This picture is amazing.

-Bailey