Sunday, February 14, 2010

Raspberry Shortcakes for Valentine's Day



It's that time of year, kids.

This year, my task is to make a fabulous dessert to pair with a Mediterranean seafood dinner, so I wanted to keep it light and fresh.

Really, there are three parts to this dish. The shortcake base, the fruit glaze and the delicious toppings. Since I'm about as domestic as Hyundai Sonata, I went to the internet for recipes.

For the base, I mainly used this recipe, but made some adjustments. Instead of shortening, I just used the equivalent amount of butter. I ended up doubling the amount of butter and half and half to compensate for what I thought to be an unreasonable amount of flour. I also added a dash of vanilla extract to compliment the raspberry flavors that will be added later.
**My batch came out a little dense, but it's all for the best since it supports a lot of fruit and cream.**

The glaze was the fun part. I used the first part of this recipe. Since I wanted this dessert to be as fresh as possible, I left large chunks of fruit in the glaze and did not run it through the blender. I also left a lot of the liquid in because the shortcake will absorb the juices later and it will be magnificent. (I've been 'testing' the glaze all morning....)
**Since the base isn't particularly sweet, and the fresh raspberry topping will be relatively tart, you can afford to use a lot of sugar in the glaze.**

The delicious toppings will be as simple as possible. I thought about adding some fresh mint leaves, but decided it best to stick with fresh raspberries (if there are any left after I'm done 'testing' them, too) and good ol' whipped cream. The whipped cream is the only part of the recipe I didn't make myself, so I guess it'll be the only edible part of the dessert.

** Best served when the glaze is hot and the raspberries are chilled.**

No comments: